Item Selection Interface
The Item Selection interface is where all the items eligible for item based forecasting and/or requirement planning are located. All item based forecasts and/or requirement planning starts from the Selection interface. The Selection interface is the heart of DemandCaster.
Item forecasting generates forecasts and subsequent requirement plans using the items history as the basis: one item with many customers. If you have S&OP enabled, your forecasts will come from the Demand Planning process.
The interface is organized to help users select items for analysis based on a multitude of item related parameters and filters. The organization is applied to all the Analytics interfaces with additional buttons and fields specific to each analytic.
Item Listing Organization
- The main portion of the selection table provides a list of all enabled and active items. Each item is cross referenced with its vendor/supplier and location (if multi-location is enabled), product class/category, customers, and if applicable user defined tags.
- The item selection table is sorted in order of the items Business Importance which is generated by the Classification Analysis process found in the analytics section. The Classification analysis sorts items on the basis of revenue, margin, or cost classification (highest to lowest) by location.
- To enter an items latest Requirement Planning Detail view, click on the graph icon of the item.
“A” level business importance and high order frequency are deemed “Super Items” because they are most critical to a business’s success.
Main Selection Options
Across the top portion of the interface DemandCaster provides the ability to filter items by the following main options.
- Supplier/Vendor: Where the items are procured or produced. This group may also include inter-company locations that supply products to other inter-company locations.
- Product Class/Category: Categories of product groupings. Each item is tied to one primary category in this drop down. Additional categories may be added as tags.
- Customers: The companies customers that purchase the item(s).
- ABCD and User Defined Tags: Each item may have multiple tags linked to it.
- Source and Destination Locations (if DRP is enabled) and Suppliers: If Multi-Location (DRP) is enabled the location view is as follows by item per the item location table - If location is the same and the item is a buy the supplier is the vendor in item.txt. If source and destination are different then the supplier is the source location. If location is same and item is make then supplier is the current location. If DRP is not enabled, the supplier is always the vendor in the item.txt file (unless the item vendor is changed in Data Maintenance).
A user can select any combination of these variables to filter the items eligible for analysis by simply clicking on the parameter to filter by or using the control key (command in Mac) to select multiple parameters.
Click the search icon (magnifying glass) in the upper right hand corner to filter the item list by the selected parameters.
- By clicking on the drop down and typing in the search criteria, the drop down filters by the entry to quickly find the value to filter by.
- You may then select multiple values by clicking on the check box.
Additional Item Filtering - Top Row
The top menu bar also allows the user to filter items by the following criteria. Clicking on any of these buttons automatically enables the item filtering as follows:
- Independent: Filters view to only show items with independent demand. Independent demand means these items have direct sales orders. Default view is items items with independent, dependent, and independent/dependent demand.
- Dependent: Filters view to only show items with dependent demand. Dependent demand means these items do not have direct sales orders and receive their demand from direct finished goods sales. Click both together filters the view to items with both Independent and Dependent demand.
- Make: Filters the selection to view only manufactured items.
- Buy: Filters the selection to view only purchased items.
- Stock: Filters the selection to view only "make or purchase to stock" items.
- Order: Filters the selection to view only "make or purchase to order" items.
- Tag And/Or: Used in combination with tags to select items. "And" selects items with that have only the selected tags assigned. "Or" selects items with either one or more of the tags selected.
- BI: Filter the selection by A, B, C, or D business importance.
- OF: Filter the selection by High, Medium, or Low order frequency (velocity).
- A: Filter the selection by High, Medium or Low Forecast Accuracy.
- Search: Search for item in selection interface. They may be partial part numbers or words. Looks for string in both item number and description.
- Show Custom Filter: Shows any previously saved filters (see below for open Custom Filter image).
- Initiate Filter/Search: Initiates the selected filter and/or search when selecting from drop downs or in Search field.
- Clear Filter: Removes saved filter or search. Since the filter remains enabled from screen to screen, please note that when the button is a darker blue, the filter is enabled.
Show Custom Filter
When clicking on Show Custom Filter, an additional row is added to the view. To select using a previously define custom filter, choose the filter from the drop down. To learn how to create and manage custom filters, please read the article How to Create, Apply, and Edit a Selection Filter.
Additional Item Filtering - Bottom Row
In addition to the top row filter, the bottom row is where items are selected for analysis and also where changes to item settings may be applied.
- Excel: Provides the capability to download interface specific reports. In the case of the Selection Interface, the user may download the forecast and replenishment options that are currently being applied to the selected items.
- Select all: Allows the user to select the items for analysis or for settings editing. The selection is limited to the items filtered. If no filter is applied, all items are selected.
- Unselect all: Unselects what was previously selected.
- Edit: Allows the user to set different policies based on a logical grouping of items or for a single item. After selecting an item or group of items and then clicking on Multiple Edit, the user can edit the settings of the item(s) per the options described in the article Item Settings Edits From Selection or Analytics Pages.
- Run analysis: After the item(s) are selected, clicking "Run analysis" will take the user to the Demand Analysis Options interface. Learn more by reading the article Running a New Forecast (when S&OP is not enabled).
Item Selection - Bottom of Page
- The number of active items.
- Page: Allows user to jump to a specific page number by entering the page number.
- Page listing
- Increase or decrease the number of items shown on page. You can set the default in system settings.
Add your comment